How to Help Someone
If you suspect someone you know is being hurt by their partner:
- Don’t be afraid to let him or her know that you are concerned for their safety.
- Acknowledge that he or she is in a very difficult and scary situation.
- Remember that what they need most is someone who will believe and listen to them.
- Be non-judgmental. Respect your friend or family member’s decisions. There are many reasons why victims stay in abusive relationships.
- Know that he or she may leave and return to the relationship many times.
- Do not criticize his or her decisions or try to make them feel guilty. He or she will need your support even more during those times.
- Help him or her to develop a safety plan.
- Encourage him or her to talk to people who can provide help and guidance.
- Offer information about AWAIC and give them the crisis line number (907) 272-0100.