Teens & Youth
Statistics show that one in three teenagers have experienced violence in a dating relationship. Look around. Yes, you know someone who is not in a healthy relationship.
According to www.loveisrespect.org:
- Women ages 16 to 24 experience the highest rate of intimate partner violence - almost triple the national average.
- Nearly 1.5 million high school students nationwide experience physical abuse from a dating partner in a single year.
- One in three adolescents in the U.S. is a victim of physical, sexual, emotional or verbal abuse from a dating partner, a figure that far exceeds rates of other types of youth violence.
- One in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- One quarter of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse.
- Approximately 70% of college students say they have been sexually coerced.
AWAIC is committed to addressing dating violence in Anchorage. AWAIC provides healthy relationship groups to Anchorage School District students as well as training about domestic violence to professionals who interact with youth. For more information about AWAIC's Community Education Program or to schedule a presentation for your group or classroom, email email@example.com or call 743-5753.