Donations of Clothing and Hygiene Items
When survivors arrive at AWAIC’s emergency shelter they often have few, if any, personal belongings. By donating essential items like clothing and hygiene items, you are helping survivors take their first steps toward a safer future!
**IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ** Updated Donation Guidelines – May 2021
- We are accepting donations BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, weekdays (Monday-Friday) between 8am and 5pm at AWAIC (100 W 13th Ave).
- Unscheduled donation walk-ins will not be accepted.
- We are able to accept up to two (2) kitchen-size (13 gallon) trash bags of gently used clothing/linens per donor.
- We may be able to accept larger quantities of new clothing and toiletries, but this will be on a case-by-case basis based on available storage space.
QUESTIONS? If you have questions about donations, please reach out to our Development team.
DONATION DRIVES: If you are interested in holding a donation drive with your friends, group, or workplace, please contact our Development team.
Clothing/LinensPlease refer to the list below for a list of the items we can currently accept. This list is updated frequently as our needs change. All clothing and linens must be new or gently used and freshly laundered. Any items that are ripped, stained, worn out, or unwashed will not be accepted.
- Comfortable t-shirts (long or short sleeve)
- Elastic-waisted pants (sweatpants, leggings, yoga pants, etc.)
- Tennis shoes/sneakers
- Sandals or flip flops
- NEW underwear
- NEW bras
- Any types of clothing not listed above
- Professional/business attire
- Any clothing that is "dry clean only"
- Pants with zippers
Hygiene ItemsAWAIC frequently needs new, unopened, and unused toiletries and hygiene products. Travel-size toiletries are the most useful for our participants, but we can accept regular size toiletries too. Please refer to the lists below for our current needs.
- Pads and tampons
- Dental floss
- Body wash*
- Hair dye
- Nail polish
- Nail clippers
Household Goods & Furniture
At this time, we are unable to accept donations of gently used household goods or furniture. Please consider donating these items to Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
Please consider purchasing new clothing, toiletries, and other much-needed supplies from our Amazon Wishlist. These items are conveniently shipped directly to AWAIC from Amazon. The items marked "High Priority" are currently in high demand at the shelter.
My Little Napper
My Little Napper is a children’s pajama business started by our friend and a survivor, Sharita Napper. Sharita stayed at AWAIC’s emergency shelter as a young child with her mother on two different occasions. Now as a survivor, she is working to make a positive impact in our community and give back to survivors of domestic violence with her new business!There are three ways you can support AWAIC through My Little Napper:
- Purchase pajamas for the little one in your life by using this link and 10% of the sales from your purchase will go to AWAIC!
- Purchase pajamas for the kids currently staying at AWAIC’s emergency shelter! Simply enter AWAIC’s address as the Shipping Address to send pajamas directly to the shelter: AWAIC, Attn: Pajamas, 100 W 13th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501.
- Purchase a My Little Napper gift card and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org so our children’s advocates can order pajamas in the sizes currently needed.